Pride Toronto is the not-for-profit organization that presents Pride Week, a ten day long arts and cultural festival celebrating Toronto’s LGBTTIQQ2SA* communities. The Festival is produced by year-round volunteers, each working together to produce the Pride Festival and full time staff that manage the organization and direct and support the activities of the teams. Each team is led by two Team Leads who manage the activities of the team and its members. Our volunteers are an important part of Pride Festival planning who together; Help Make Pride Happen!
* Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transsexual, Transgender, Intersex, Queer, Questioning, 2 Spirited, Allied.
The International Grand Marshall Team presents possible candidates for appointment as the International Grand Marshall using agreed and approved processes. The team works closely with the Executive Director to plan and develop a campaign to promote the International Grand Marshall. The team acts as the liaison with community groups on the appearance of the International Grand Marshall for events and functions during the festival.
Term of position and hours per week required:
There are two Team Leads on the International Grand Marshall Team. Each Team Lead is appointed to a two-year term. Each Team Lead position requires a commitment of approximately 10 hours per week from August to April and approximately 10 -20 hours per week from April to June.
Portfolio Tasks (50%):
- Reports to the Executive Director
- Works with the Executive Director to plan and develop the International Grand Marshall program
- Works with appropriate external organizations (The 519, etc.) to partner in events that the International Grand Marshall can participate in
- Works with appropriate Pride Toronto staff and volunteers to develop the Pride Guide content and promotional material (including posters, pamphlets or brochures)
￼- Works with the appropriate Pride Toronto staff and volunteers to develop social media networks and website content
- Presents to the Board of Directors and the Executive Director with possible candidates for the International Grand Marshal position
- Liaises with the Executive Director to make hotel, flight, and travel arrangements; arrange per diems; and provide hospitality for the International Grand Marshal
- Works with the Public Safety Team to arrange appropriate VIP access for the International Grand Marshal and their contingent
- Works with the Parade Team to ensure the appropriate placement of the International Grand Marshal and the International Grand Marshall contingent
- Works with appropriate Pride Toronto staff and volunteers to develop press releases and the arrangement of press coverage of the International Grand Marshall initiatives
- Attends the International Grand Marshall appearances as needed
- Works with other Team Leads to encourage awareness of the International
Grand Marshall Program
- Additional tasks as needed
Team Coordination (30%):
- Recruits, trains and manages a reliable team
- Facilitates the work of Team Members
- Ensures updated information is available to volunteers, including a Team manual and volunteer descriptions
- Submits a schedule of Weekend Volunteer shifts to the Weekend Volunteer Team
- Provides training to Team Members and Weekend Volunteers in advance of the festival weekend
- Attends Monthly Team Meetings
Organizational Support /Overarching Team Mandate (20%):
- Works within the limits of the approved budget and adheres to Pride Toronto’s financial principles
- Works openly, cooperatively and collaboratively with all other Toronto Pride Board Staff and Volunteers.
- Provides courteous and professional customer service to all potential and registered participants of Pride Week;
- Refers donations to the organization by referring prospective donors of cash/service/product/venue/promotion to the Director of Fundraising only
- Refers sponsorships and partnerships of cash/service/product/venue/promotion by referring prospects to the Director of Fundraising only
￼- Ensures any partnership or commitment of any organizational resources with any external person, organization or venue is approved by the appropriate staff liaison;
- Ensures any communications with the media are referred to the Co-Chairs of the Board of Directors and/or the Executive Director
- Ensures the accurate tracking and timely submission of Team Lead (Co-Leads) and Team Member volunteer timesheets
- Must be 18 years of age or older and have a Police Records Check completed
(please see the PRC Volunteer screening policy).
- Has a solid understanding of event management/initiatives
- Sound judgment and decision-making regarding proposals
- Strong organization skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong Project Management skills
- Has an interest in and strong knowledge of global International Grand Marshall
in the *LGBTTIQQ2SA community
This is not an exhaustive list of the duties/skills required for this role. For a more detailed list of the work involved, please contact Kiona Sinclair, Volunteer Program Manager at email@example.com.
Please submit your resume to:
Volunteer Program Manager
Tel: 416-927-7433 ext. 227